Dr. Wood was recently interviewed about Stellate Ganglion Blocks (SGB) on the Edge on Regenerative Medicine Podcast, a show educating the public on life-changing advances in modern medicine. With so many people still unfamiliar with this effective treatment for calming anxiety and fear-based responses, we decided it was the perfect opportunity to answer some frequently asked questions.
- What exactly is SGB? SGB is a safe, ultrasound-guided injection that targets a collection of nerves in the neck, blocking impulses that trigger fear- and anxiety-based responses in our bodies.
- What does it treat? SGB is an extremely effective treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), panic attacks, anxiety, stress-related disorders, and postpartum depression, among other conditions.
- How does it work? The standard SGB treatment involves two injections within ten to fourteen days. The first injection resets the nervous system, while the second one builds upon the first dose. Some patients benefit from additional injections to effectively “reboot” the nervous system to a pre-trauma state.
- How quickly do you see results? Results can be felt as quickly as 30 minutes following the procedure and can last for years. This immediate reduction in symptoms, along with a long-lasting sense of calm, can also provide a better environment for additional treatment opportunities like psychological counseling.
- How long has it been used? While many people may not have heard of SGB, it has been used for nearly 100 years in the United States to relieve chronic pain and depression. However, regular medicinal use did not occur in the U.S. until after 1998. It was also used to help German prisoners of war recover from their experiences in Russian camps during World War II.
SGB not only helps patients manage stress and anxiety, but it also helps them stay focused during stressful times. It works well for those suffering from stress disorders as well as those who just simply work in high-stress positions. For more information about the overall benefits and specific success stories using SGB, tune into Dr. Wood’s interview on the Edge on Regenerative Medicine Podcast.
Dr. Ryan Wood is a licensed Naturopathic and Chiropractic physician focusing on interventional orthopedic and orthobiologic medicine and injection therapies as well as general musculoskeletal and non-surgical orthopedic medicine.
With almost two decades of orthopedic practice across multiple disciplines, he has the necessary experience to ensure proper diagnoses and management of complex cases.